Friday, August 17, 2007

The New India

I was at a party yesterday and came across a gentleman who, though born in India, has stayed in the US for 52 years.
It was an interesting conversation with him where a couple of us tried to enlighten him on the new India. Though he seemed interested at first, he soon started comparing facilities and infrastructure in the US with that in India and we figured we were fighting a lost battle.
But, the point is, India has progressed rapidly since the past couple of decades and the progress is here to stay.

Here an article called "India: the Empire strikes back" by acclaimed historian William Dalrymple which compares India of the 80s with the India of today. It gives me a lot of hope.

From Raj to riches: as India celebrates 60 years of independence, acclaimed historian William Dalrymple salutes a country returning to its pre-colonial wealth

When I moved back to India with my family four years ago, I took a lease on a farmhouse five kilometres from the boom town of Gurgaon on the south-western edge of Delhi. From my road I could see in the distance the rings of new housing estates, full of call centres, software companies and fancy apartment blocks, all rapidly rising on land that only two years earlier was billowing winter wheat.

The first time I lived in Delhi, in the late 1980s, Gurgaon was a semi-rural Haryana market town, with a single large Maruti car plant to one side; it was home to no more than 100,000 people.

Now it had become a city of several million; some said three million, some said more - the speed of growth was so enormous that it was difficult to obtain accurate figures. Either way, Gurgaon was now home to a population almost equal to that of my native Scotland.


Continue Reading

No comments: